Thursday 15 September 2011

Chocolate digestive biscuits

011

At the weekend I was challenged to a ‘Come Dine with Me’ dinner. I’m not the most adventurous of cooks (my speciality being carbonara or sausage pasta! Mm mmm) but I wanted to make everything from scratch and really give it my best.

For starter I made stuffed mushrooms with bacon, onion and cheese, and for main I MADE (very important!) chicken goujons, new potatoes and salad and...pulled it off quite well!

012

My favourite dish of the three course meal however was a chocolate digestive biscuit cake – recipe courtesy of my friend’s Aunt. They were so yummy that I thought it would be selfish not to share so here’s my delish dessert and how you can make your own:

(This recipe makes 12-14 biscuits)

8oz digestive biscuits
4oz margarine
1 generous tablespoon golden syrup
4 teaspoons cocoa powder
2oz caster sugar
8oz chocolate (for melting)

1. Crush the biscuits. This can be done however you please but I put mine in a big mixing bowl and beat them with the end of a rolling pin (actually I’ll let you in on a secret, this is what you should do but I couldn’t find the rolling pin so made do with the handle of the cheese grater – it worked though!)
2. Put the margarine, sugar, cocoa powder and golden syrup in a saucepan and heat on low until melted
3. Once melted to a brown, runny consistency add in the crushed biscuits
4. Stir until all the biscuits are covered in the chocolate-tey sauce and remove from the heat
5. Spoon out the mixture into a 7inch shallow square baking tin, pat down and place in the fridge to set for 3-4 hours
6. If you would like melted chocolate on the top, make this once the biscuit cake is set. To make it, simply break the chocolate into bits and melt it in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of hot water on the hob, on a low heat
7. Once melted drizzle the chocolate over the set digestive biscuit cake and place back in the fridge for another hour

And voila! You have one delish, easy-peasy dessert. You can also customise it by adding raisins or nuts, whatever takes your fancy really. I’ve even heard of adding marshmellows!

I’d love to hear if any of you try this and what you thought. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love love love to hear from you so leave a comment if you wish and I'll get back to you. Thank you xx